126-130 BEACON STREET
BACK BAY, BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
(w/Dell Mitchell Architects)
Originally three contiguous French Academic style townhouses,
this building was design by George Snell and built in ca. 1860.
By 1933, the three townhouses were acquired by the
Emerson College, which operated the building as a school
and administration space until 2003. The Beal Companies,
a real estate development firm, purchased the building
and by 2005 the three townhouses were converted to
eleven high-end condominiums.
The exterior facades, details and windows were preserved to
respect the original period detail, and the demolished
Back Street carriage building in the rear facing the
Esplanade and the Charles River was rebuilt to replicate
the original structure, and houses garage parking for the
residents. Rooftop terraces with views toward the Esplanade
were added to the top of the garage and the ultimate roof
(above the main three townhouses building).